Open Call: ITC Conference Grants
ITC Conference Grants support Early Career Investigators (ECI) and PhD students from Participating Inclusiveness Target Countries (ITC) to attend international science and technology related conferences on the topic of our Action (excluding conferences organized by the Action).
Early Career Investigators (ECI) – An individual who is within a time span of up to 8 years from the date they obtained their PhD/doctorate (full-time equivalent).
Important Documents for Applicants to read
- Conference Grants are exclusively reserved for PhD students and ECI’s with a primary affiliation in an institution located in an ITC (Section 9, COST Vademecum, under “Key Documents” (available here).
- The applicant must make an oral/poster presentation at the conference in question and must be listed in the official event/conference programme.
- The main subject of the oral presentation / poster presentation / speech at the approved conference must be on the topic of the EuroMicropH and must acknowledge COST and the EuroMicropH Action.
- Award of the Conference Grants will require pre-approval by the ECI committee appointed Committee, nominated by the MC.
- Attendance at European conferences is preferred. However, conferences held elsewhere can also be considered.
- In order to apply, applicants need to:
- Set up an eCOST account if they do not already have one
- Open their e-COST account and fill the form for ITC Conference Grant applicants
- Attach their CV
- Attach a copy of abstract or poster submitted to the Conference
- Attach a copy of the acceptance letter from Conference organizers
- Provide a short description of the applicant’s involvement in EuroMicropH
Evaluation and Selection of Applicants
Applications will be evaluated according to the following criteria:
- The topic of the conference, and the work to be presented at the conference, must be clearly related to the EuroMicropH COST Action.
- It must be clear from the application how it will support the EuroMicropH in achieving its scientific objectives.
- ECI and PhD students who participated in STSMs are encouraged to apply for ITC Conference grants to present their results at the Conferences, if they are coming from ITC countries.
- Note that normally no more than one participant will be supported to attend the same Conference.
- The application should be sent for pre-approval at least 45 days before Conference start.
- For reporting and financial reasons, it is advisable not to apply for ITC Grants for Conferences taking place in dates that are less than 40 days from the end of each GP (Grant Period), i.e. end of April, and/or immediately after the restart of a new GP.
A Conference Grant is a fixed financial contribution which takes into consideration the budget request of the applicant and the outcome of the evaluation of the application by an appointed Committee.
Conference Grants do not necessarily cover all of the expenses related to participating in a given conference. A Conference Grant is a contribution to the overall travel, accommodation and meal expenses of the selected Grantee. The calculation of the financial contribution for each Conference Grant will follow these criteria:
Up to a maximum of EUR 2 500 in total can be afforded to each successful
applicant for in-person conferences and up to 500 EUR for virtual
Up to a maximum of EUR 160 per day can be afforded for accommodation and meal expenses;
- Up to a maximum of EUR 500 can be claimed for the conference fees to be incurred by the selected Grantee;
- Documentary evidence of the conference fee amount must be provided by the applicant.
In addition when meal and accommodation expenses are supported by the hosting institution as part of the provisions offered in their conference package, the amount for subsistence afforded to each eligible participant must be deducted from the Grant.
- Payment is done after the Conference and after the approval of the scientific report submitted by the applicant.
Approving ITC Conference Grants for Payment
The Grantee has 30 calendar days from the end date of the Conference in question to submit a scientific report to the Action Chair (or Vice-Chair if the Action Chair is affiliated to the Grant Holder Institution) and the Action’s Grant Holder.
Payment of the Grant is subject to the submitted Conference Grant scientific report being approved by the Action Chair.